LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.08 (08) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 9 02:51:19 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.NOV.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.08 (07) [E]

Tom wrote:

> My daughter (who recently moved from London to Coventry) reports
> picking sloe berries there.  Those I am unfamiliar with.  Are they to be
> found in the lowlands?

Of course they are found in the lowlands - sloes are not berries, they
contain stones - because they are actually the wild form of the plum! The
sloe bush is the same as the blackthorn.

Whenever I see a sloe bush it reminds me of a story my mother told me. She
was 18 years old in the late fall of 1945, pregnant with my brother and half
starved. She went out into the fields (that was near the city of Wiesbaden
in Hesse) to scrape together from the sloe bushes what she could. Sloes are
really nasty to eat raw, sour and bitter, but there was nothing else to eat
at all. While she was fighting the thorny bush, a black American GI strolled
past, eating from a bag of doughnuts. He saw what she was doing, stopped and
gave her a doughnut from his bag, which she devoured on the spot; then he
walked on. But after 20 metres or so, he stopped, turned around, went back
to her and, with tears in his eyes, gave her the whole bag.

[Gabriele Kahn]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Tom,

Below are some things that were written about sloes in May of last year.

<quote>