LL-L "Translation" 2003.11.09 (08) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 10 06:06:07 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.NOV.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brian Holton <ctbah at polyu.edu.hk>
Subject: LL-L "Translation" 2003.11.08 (09) [E]

Reinhard wrote
> I found many of the _shi_ works of the Tang and Song very relevant to our
> time and place(s).  This became even more apparent to me when I began
> translating them into Lowlands Saxon (Low German).  When you translate
them
> into a "major" language like English, Dutch, German or French you are
> tempted to utilize a more formal linguistic register and to chose words
that
> are somewhat vague and convey a sense of distance.  In LS I do not really
> have such choices, am forced to "talk down to earth" and be specific, must
> choose from a large number of possible words that convey specific shades
of
> meaning.   In my opinion, this makes the translations more alive and more
> accessible to the average reader.  I wonder if this does not also hold
true
> when you translate them into Scots.

Yes, indeed, it does hold true: I have been translating Chinese-Scots for
twenty-odd years now (on an occasional basis), and I certainly do find that
the poems become more alive in Scots. Mind you, I do find some types of poem
easier than others: early Tang court poetry works less well becuase it's
very formal, and the Yuan dynasty sanqu form works better still, because
it's more colloquial, closer to speech and to folksong.

here's some samples from the work of Qiao Jifu (14th century)  - published
in Chapman 73(1993)

AT THORNIEBURN

A speir at the houses
    on Thronieburn side
whae's aucht them?
nae ploums plantit
auld trees haudin up the yetts
wild rashes taiglin the bankins
withert bamboo smoorin the palins
an abbey wi nae freirs
    sclaits rummelt wi the tods
a court wi nae pleas
    bleck rottans for the gairds
white watter
    yalla sand

A've leaned owre aa the railins
an ilka skreichin corbie's
    been
        countit

CHECKIN MASEL

sittin idle i the caller airs
sleepin hie mang cluds o white
nae leivin sowl gobs in ma gub
A'll stot wi pleisur
an lauch - haw haw

see ither fowk
    yokit an shoved about
    worn doun ti the back-hauf
aa ti mak a cannie bit bield

east?
    it's up ti me
wast?
    it's up ti me

yours aye

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Translation

Thanks a lot, Brian.  Those translations read very well, though I'll read
them more carefully later.

I, too, find late Tang poems to be easier than early Tang ones, for the same
reason.

_Sanqu_ (_San-ch'ü_ 散曲), huh?  They are looser, freer, aren't they?  I
haven't tried those as yet.  Makes sense, though, since the Yuan (Yüan 元,
Mongol) dynasty tended to keep literature and performances rather down to
earth and folksy.