LL-L "Names" 2003.11.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 10 15:44:19 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.NOV.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.11.09 (04) [Ap/E]

Ron

Somewhere I have a paperback published by the Walter deGruyter Company (
their Sammlung Goeschen series) that stated that von Bismarck, as part of
his Kulturkampf, actually threw lowlanders in jail for refusing to change
the spelling of their family names from, for example, Moeller to Mueller.
I'm sure that he had equally strong opinions on non-German given names as
well.

Tom Byro