LL-L "Holidays" 2003.11.10 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 11 02:24:19 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.NOV.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2003.11.10 (06) [D/E/S/LS]

In Southern Lower Saxony, we used to sing another Martinmas song, going from
door to door collecting goodies:

Matten Matten Abend,
de Äppel un de Beren,
dat Hemelreich is upgedan,
da wolln mer alle rinnegaan
an düsen Matten Abend.

English:
Martin, Martin evening,
apples and pears,
Heaven has opened up
and we all want to go in
this martin evening.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

> From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
> Subject: Holidays
> On behalf of the entire Lowlands-L family, felicitations to all of you for
> whom tomorrow (November 11) is Martinmas!  Enjoy!

Sorry, but I guess for many of us it's a sad day, since we remember our
people lost in the great wars.
What we rather have in our minds is;

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
          In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
          In Flanders fields.

(John McCrae)

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Holidays

Thanks, Gabriele and Roger.

Roger, of course all of the day of the dead variants come with a sad
component.  Mourning over loss is universal after all.  It is only the ways
that cultures and belief systems explain the separation, deal with a
person's own impending death and recommune with the souls of the departed
that differ, and some of them are not entirely somber.

In Germany, too, this holiday is a very somber affair.  As for fallen
veterans, I suppose it is bad enough to see them as sacrifices on the way to
victory and liberation.  Having lost your loved ones as sacrifices for your
own country's folly (twice in one century) has another component to it that
is anything but cheery.

Tomorrow (Tuesday, Nevember 11) will be Veterans' Day in the United States,
while unfortunately a supply of new veterans keeps coming.