LL-L "Names" 2003.11.12 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 12 18:27:02 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.NOV.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: sam claire <samclaire at mybluelight.com>
Subject: LL-L jacks and jills

Want to thank those who are adding to my Jack/Jill list.  Very interesting.
Sam

----------

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.11.11 (02) [E]

Dear Lowlanders

Quote from Sam Claire: To ponder the very name JACK as bandied about the
span of English brings amusement and enlightenment.  This name was imported
from the Hebrew JACOB, thru the Greek, Latin, and French; .... and: JACK is
the pet form of JOHN, ...

I find this strange.  I always thought that they are two different names,
'Jack' being short for what we in Dutch use as 'Jacob' (or 'Jacobus', one of
the names used in the Bible, and in English translated as 'James').  In
classic Greek 'John' is 'IWANNHN', like the Dutch 'Johannes' or 'Jan'.  The
Greek name for 'James' is 'IAKWBOU', which is quitye close to the Dutch
names.  (I hope my Greek characters survive the journey - I used the
'Symbol' font for them).

By the way, my name is the female form of 'Jan', for which I know a number
of variations, used in different areas of the Netherlands: Jantje (Drents -
is mine, officially), Janke (Fries), Jantien, Jannechien (the 1st from
Groningen ?, the 2nd from Overijsel ? - not too sure which is which),
Jans(je), Jannetje (Spakenburg / Eemdijk).

Groeten, Jannie Lawn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Moi(n), Jannie!

Thanks for telling us about your name.  Some of the variants you talked
about are traditional in Northern Germany as well.  Below just the short
version:

German: Johanna, Hanna, Hannchen, Hännchen
Lowlands Saxon: Jehanne, Janne, Jantje, Hanne, Hanning, Hänning, Henning
English: Joan, Joanne, Joanna, Anne, Ann, Anna, Annie, Jean, Jeanie

German: Johannes, Johann, Hans, Hänschen, Hänsel
Lowlands Saxon: Jehannes, Jan, Hannes, Hans, Hanning, Hänning, Henning
English: John, Johnny, Jonnie, Jack

Diminutive forms with _-ing_ ([...IN(k)]) are specific to the Lowlands Saxon
dialects of Mecklenburg and Pomerania, probably based on the West Slavonic
diminutive suffix _-(i)nke_ < _-(i)nka_.

Apparently, these names are Hebrew-derived and mean something like "God is
merciful/gracious."