LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 14 16:04:46 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.NOV.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Language policies (NOT etymology).

Tom Mag Uidhir wrote:
"The reason for language exclusion is usually not linguistic but political.
It is a question of the power of some speakers over others. Is this a just
criterion for deciding language use?"

In Ireland, as I have stated, the Irish language has the strong backing of
the most important legal document in the country yet remains flouted and
obstructed at every turn.

Partly, this is because of the pro-English 'social tyranny' directed by the
English-speaking majority against the Irish-speaking minority. The Irish
language is caricatured as something that attracts grants, subsidies and
other favourable treatment, and Irish speakers are denigrated as rich
beggars for who will not be pleased until they are living in some sort of
dancing-at-the-crossroads de Valéra monolingual utopia. Certain sections of
the media (e.g., Kevin Myers in the Irish Times) have a pathological hatred
of the Irish language. The worst obstacle faced by Irish is that it is not
taken seriously. It's the one aspect of Irishness that it's acceptable -
even desirable - to pillory.

I would like to believe a language law - Finland or Wales spring to mind as
models - that places both Irish and English on an equal footing could repair
some of the damage. Sadly, however, I look at the manner in which the
constitution's language provisions are routinely ignored and I am led to the
conclusion that the law, in this matter at least, is an ass from which Irish
can expect no real protection.

Criostóir.