LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.14 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 14 21:24:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.NOV.2003 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.14 (05) [E]

Dear Irish(wo)men, dear Lowlanders,
I have followed your discussions about Irish Gaelic with increasing
interest - and amazement. Of course I knew the basic situation: An official
primary state language decling steadily.
Interested in so-called minority languages since many years and having
studied - as amateur layman - the history and present status of some of
them, has made me believe that favorable
laws can help but that they are not essential.
What is primordial is the political will of those who are in power. If I
understand correctly, this will was present in the creators of the present
constitution (I understand from your discussions that it is no longer).
But instead of  "shoving Gaelic down our throats" (quote from some of my
Irish colleagues) they should have created abundant possibilities to acquire
the language on a volontary basis AND, more importantly, created the
INCENTIVES to do so; by introducing the language into all domains of public
life, media, administration, education (most importantly pre-school) in an
unceremonious, unconvulsive manner. Of course, this is not done overnight.
The majority English speakers must be given the possibilities to go about
their daily lives in English.
But a new generation could have been ushered into a Gaelic-speaking Ireland
slowly but surely.
This should have been/should be studied, for example in a thesis, if it
hasn´t already.
Another, related, subject for a thesis that comes to mind (it has been on
mine for ages) concerns
the inexhaustible example of Switzerland. German is the official language of
the Deutsche Schweiz, yet Allemannic remains the exclusive communication
language in all domains of life, German being limited to official written
texts. Next door, the opposite is the case.
In the Suisse Romande French has totally replaced Franco-Provencal.
Hopefully some food for thought and discussion.
Mike Wintzer