LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.15 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 15 21:16:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.14 (15) [D/E]

Feasgar math, a Lowlanders!

Please, Ron, for your own sake, get some dinner!

Godspeed in your eventual recovery,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais.

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Beste Ron,

Sorry for bursting your bubble...but "makker" (D) should be interpreted as
"matcher" (according to De Vries' eymological dictionary)...the one who
matches you.

If "mackar" has ever meant "artisan" (< fellow craftsman) in Scots it could
still be due to Flemish influence of course.

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>

> Hulp! Heeft iemand een etymologisch Nederlands woordenboek? Wat is de
> oorsprong van het woord "makker"?  By voorbaat bedankt.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser indeed ...
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Hi Ron,

I didn't follow the whole discussion, but this is my answer about "makker":

J. Vercouillie (1925):
uit *makke,  dat met aphaerese van 'ge' uit *gemakke, Os  gimako  +
Ags  gamaecca (Eng. match) = gade, gelijke, van maken = passen
(vergelijk gemak).
Van Dale (1992):
[<Rotwelsch macker < Jidd. makor ], gezel, maat; -(in't bijz.)
medescholier, speelgenoot, kameraad.
De Bo (1892):
makkeren = als goede vrienden met elkaar omgaan.
Loquela (Guido Gezelle)(1907):
makken= Overeen komen, mak zijn of worden tegenover malkaar. -Die twee
en makken niet. Zij makken lijk honden en katten
Het woord makken is in 't Engelsch vertegenwoordigt door to match en
verwant aan maken, maat, gemak, enz...

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: Jannie Lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.14 (09) [E]

Hai all,

Quote from Luc van Brabant: Here in West-Vlaanderen, we also use the name
"talinge" for a kind of little duck.

Apparently a 'taling' is a specific kind of duck.  In my birdbook
(R.T.Peterson, G.Mountfort en P.A.D.Hollom (translated into Dutch by Mr J
Kist), it mentions 'zomertaling' (E: Garganey, G: Knäkente), wintertaling,
(E: Teal, G: Krickente) and three for which they don't give an English or
German name: Blauwvleueltaling (Latin: Anas discors), Siberische taling (L:
Anas formosa) and Bronskoptaling (L: Anas falcata).

Groeten, Jannie Lawn

----------

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.14 (14) [E]

on 15/11/03 10:37,  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I had always assumed that "emu" (_Dromaius novaehollandiae_) was
> based on an indigenous Australian word, but apparently it came from
> Portuguese _emu_ < _emeu_ (according to the Oxford Dictionary)!!!
Oy oop Wack. I think you have fully explained the mystery, many thanks.
We owe more to Portiguese than is generally realised. Even in West African
parlance we have words such as 'dash' meaning a gift generally a bribe. And
'piccan' for a child comes from their word for children.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Uilleam dogail Òg mhic Sheumais:

> Please, Ron, for your own sake, get some dinner!

Luc Hellinckx:

> Sorry for bursting your bubble...

OK, OK, so my blood sugar eventually did get back to normal, but ...

If "match" is involved, then there is a "make" connection anyway.  So there!

(It's been a taxing week ...)

But at least my _makker_ Tom appreciated one of my selfless efforts:

> > I had always assumed that "emu" (_Dromaius novaehollandiae_) was
> > based on an indigenous Australian word, but apparently it came from
> > Portuguese _emu_ < _emeu_ (according to the Oxford Dictionary)!!!
> Oy oop Wack. I think you have fully explained the mystery, many thanks.
> We owe more to Portiguese than is generally realised.

I wonder if Portuguese _emeu_ comes from *_emel_, given the old Portuguese
tendency toward changing _-l_ into _-u_.  Might this give us a clue as to
the origin of the word?