LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 18 15:52:36 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.NOV.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.17 (07) [E]

At 06:37 PM 11/17/03 -0800, Uilleam wrote:
>The Episcopalian Church does have a large Spanish-language ministry, and I
>believe a smaller
>European-language (multiple) ministry in our diocese in the Europe. We have
>lots of Spanish
>language diocese outside the USA, and there used to be a large amount of
>French congregations (enough to warrant the translation of the Book of
>Common Prayer into French). However, I have no checked these, so if anyone
>has more accurate information, go right ahead.

Go to http://www.anglicancommunion.org/tour/index.cfm.  Note there are
Anglican provinces in many languages.  My own diocese has been partnered
for the last several years for the Diocese of Cuba
(http://www.cuba.anglican.org/) which is 100% Spanish speaking.

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2003.11.17 (05) [E]

Ron,

I don't believe immersion language teaching represents an "all or nothing"
approach as you describe. I think Mike was pointing out that in Anglo-Saxon
countries - with perhaps the exception of Canada - language teaching is a
particularly low official priority and that children in those are left to
believe foreign languages are unnecessary.

If I may be so bold I do not think your anecdotes of isolated German- and
French-language proficiency in British and Australian secondary students is
representative of the general linguistic nonchalance among teenagers in
Anglo-Saxon countries. Having been through the British system myself and
worked at Australian schools I can easily counter with my own anecdotes of
absolute language insouciance.

Immersion teaching has immense benefits, as the Gaeilscoileanna
(Irish-medium education) in Ireland and the kohanga reo (Maori-language
schooling) in Aotearoa have shown. As far as I am aware, English is taught
in this way in most European schools from a very early age - the English
proficiency of most Europeans shows this method works. By contrast, in most
Anglo-Saxon foreign language classrooms the immersion method is not used,
children only have to learn a foreign tongue when they reach secondary
school (i.e., age eleven to sixteen) and by this time most actively resist
it as both boring and difficult.

While obviously some language teaching - even on the kind of half-hearted,
damned-if-you-do Anglo-Saxon model - is preferable to none, there is much to
recommend an early start using the immersion method which is, after all, how
we all learn our mother tongues in the first place.

Criostóir.