LL-L "Introduction" 2003.11.23 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 24 05:22:07 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.NOV.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Obayemi Onafuwa <onafuwa at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2003.11.23 (03) [E]

Greetings to everyone.

I love Brahms's music, and knowing the Scots version
of the song illuminates the Ballades (I was lucky to
see Brendel perform them in Carnegie Hall a couple of
years ago and, yes, the first ballad was suitably
broody and blood-wet).

And I've always wondered about that word "Duniya"
because it pops up everywhere from Mande languages to
Yoruba, Hindi and Arabic.  I was grateful for the
explanation of its origins.

I'm new here, of course, but I look forward to
learning all sorts of things about Netherlandish (and
associated matters) from the members of the list.

best regards,

Yemi Onafuwa
(Department of Art History, Columbia University, New York)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Introduction

Hello, Yemi!

It was very nice of you to introduce yourself to the List.  It is a pleasure
to make your acquaintance, and you are very much welcome.  You will find
Lowlands-L to be among the friendlier and more welcoming places in the world
of electronic lists.

On behalf of everyone, welcome to you and everyone else who joined us during
the past couple of weeks.

Please don't hesitate to send in posting submissions.  But do us a favor and
familiarize yourselves with the rules and guidelines
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules) before you do.

Friendly regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L