LL-L "Names" 2003.10.02 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 2 15:08:13 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Shirley Wyatt <ladyarabian at msn.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.30 (02) [E]

Hi,
I'm 3rd generation Ostfriesian here in the US.  Yes, they reclaimed land
from the sea in Ostfriesland and built the big dykes.  Here in the US in the
state of Illinois were I live, our Ostfriesian settlement came here and took
marshy, swamp land, drained it and it became some of the best farmland here
in Illinois and perhaps the US.  There are other settlements in the US where
Ostfriesians did the same thing - like in Grundy Center Iowa.
Shirley Loeschen Wyatt