LL-L "Nautica" 2003.10.02 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 2 16:26:38 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.OCT.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mathieu van Woerkom <mathieu.vanwoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Nautica

James Fortune wrote:

> Here's a question, which may well be off topic, that I'd still like to
ask!
> There is an old type of boat called a cog. Cogs were used as armed
merchant
> ships aroun 1000 AD. The hull form is of Scandinavian origin, but I was
> wondering if the name was of similar origin? Historically, they were
> favoured by merchants based all the way up the east coast of the UK, and
> especially popular in Northumberland and Scotland.

In the Van Dale 'Groot Woordenboek der Nederlandse taal':

koog (geen afbreking) /kox/ de; kogen
(1319 - Hollandse vorm naast kaag in plaatsnamen zoals Koog aan de Zaan)
- buitendijks land (alleen nog in plaatsnamen) Koog aan de Zaan
Vergelijk: kaag

kaag (geen afbreking) /kax/ de; kagen
(1588 Oud-Noors kaggi (vaatje))
- platboomd, binnenlands vaartuig met zwaarden, een enkele schuine mast en
een halve boegspriet; het voerde een sprietzeil en één of twee fokken, en
diende o.a. als lichter

regards,
Mathieu

----------

> Here's a question, which may well be off topic, that I'd still like to
> ask!
> There is an old type of boat called a cog. Cogs were used as armed
> merchant
> ships aroun 1000 AD. The hull form is of Scandinavian origin, but I was
> wondering if the name was of similar origin? Historically, they were
> favoured by merchants based all the way up the east coast of the UK,
> and
> especially popular in Northumberland and Scotland.
>
> Interestingly, one main link between Scotland and the Low Countries
> (especially what became the modern Netherlands) were the Red & White
> Houses
> in Berwick upon Tweed. I'll do some "digging" but I think one was used
> by
> Flemish merchants and the other one may have been Hanseatic. Any ideas
> anyone?
>
> Sorry Ron, two distinct questions in one email ;-)
>
> Aw the best,
> James.
Hi James,
In Flanders these boats were named "kogge", a name which comes from the
Latin words "coga/coggum/caudex( =D: boomstam).
In D it is a "kog".
groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Natica

In Northern Germany the name is _Kogge_, denoting the prevalent type of ship
used during the time of the Hanseatic Trading League.

Descriptions and illustrations:
Dutch:
http://www.kamper-kogge.nl/
German:
http://www.dsm.de/Kogge/kogge.htm
http://www.3sat.de/3sat.php?http://www.3sat.de/nano/cstuecke/07674/
http://www.geschichte.schleswig-holstein.de/vonabisz/kogge.htm
English:
http://www.abc.se/~m10354/mar/cog.htm
http://cma.soton.ac.uk/HistShip/SHLECT86.HTM

Something else:

In Lowlands Saxon (Low German), one of the words for "pirate" is
_lyke-deyler_ (<Liekedeler> ['li:kedeIl3`] "like-deal-er") which conveys
something like "one who gets an equal share."  Originally it referred to the
types of pirates that shared their booty in a "fair" way.  Are there
equivalents of this in other Lowlands language varieties?  Is it the same as
"victual brothers" (German _Vitalienbrüder_)?

Northern Germany's most famous/infamous _lyke-deyler_ was Klaas Störtebecker
(usually referred to as Klaus Störtebecker in German), who was and is
celebrated by some as some type of Robin Hood of the North Sea around the
mouth of river Elbe and later in other areas and around the Baltic Sea shore
(e.g., Viipuri/Visby, Finland).  He and 71 of his men were beheaded on
Hamburg's Grasbrook on October 21, 1401.  Godeke Michels, the other
notorious pirate, and 80 of his men suffered the same fate a year later.  It
had started with them having given the order by the local government to
capture Danish ships during one of the wars against neighboring Denmark, but
they would not stop once they had gotten really into it, so they started
capturing Hanseatic ships and attacking Hanseatic cities.  (Talking about
"creating a monster" ...)

More information:
http://www.hamburgs-geschichte.de/1401klaus.html
http://claus-rixen-schule.lernnetz.de/vierd.htm