LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.04 (06) [E/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 4 22:18:39 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.OCT.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.10.04 (02) [E]

This is the same with /oa/ and /è/. In Stellingwarvian (probably not
other dialects) the old short/lax germanic a became è, thus 'waeter' and
not 'woater' - this only happened with this laxed vocal so they will
still use oa in other words, like proaten.

-Kenneth

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> Thanks a lot for all the food for thought above, Gary.  I think you raised
> few really interesting points.  It reminded me that an interdialectal
> orthography might be argued to bear a measure of responsibility in
honoring
> and preserving underlying differenciations, given that orthography can and
> will influence phonology.
>
> This reminds me of a discussion Kenneth Rohde Christiansen and I had in
> private the other day.  Kenneth asked me why in my proposed/experimental
> "Neo-Hanseatic" system for Lowlands Saxon (Low German) I differentiate
> between <oo> and <ou> when most other systems do not.  It is true that
most
> German-based systems do not make this difference, do so only in cases of
> dialects that pronounce /ou/ as [aU] instead of [oU] (hence <oo> vs.
<au>).

--
Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>

-----