LL-L "Names" 2003.10.04 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 5 21:43:00 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Names

Beste Jan en Ron,

Yes, Ron's explanation re _-hem_ > _-em_ > _-om_ ~ _-um_ (i.e., labial vowel
assimilation to _-m_) looks very plausible to me.

All the _-hem_-names that I know of in Brabant are btw pronounced as _um_
(_oem_ in Dutch).

Wolvertem > Wolfertoem
Meuzegem > Muëzegoem
Brussegem > Brussegoem
Kobbegem > Koppegoem
Bodegem > Böögoem

It might not be immediately visible, but they are surely (_inga_)-_hem_
toponyms.

"Bochum" would sound like "Büükum" (German orthography), "Buukoem" (Dutch
orthography)
today in Brabantish, if it would have meant "beechhome" originally. But this
etymology
looks rather "exotic" because here in Brabant the first part of a _-hem_
toponym is
usually (always?) a personal name. "Home of the beeches" sounds very
animistic to me *s*,
but I don't want to rule this possibility out.

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>

Beste Jan,

I did find two places after all where a _-hem_ toponym is not derived of a
(male) personal name
(which is usually the case in Southern Brabant).

Bornem > Börrem was originally "Burnehem", house near the source of a river
Berchem > Berrechoem used to be spelled "Bergheem" in former days, dwelling
on a hill

So, Bochum might indeed have meant "home near the beeches".

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx