LL-L "Language use" 2003.10.04 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 6 01:47:37 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gaidheal <gaidheal at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.10.04 (11) [E]

Latha math, a Lowlanders;

Gabriele Kahn said:
When I lived in the USA, I always cringed when someone told someone
else "I love you" loudly and in public - spouses, parents, children,
friends,
in person, on the phone, you name it. Some people even end every phone
conversation that way. To a German, this is worse than seeing people
run around naked; it is a very private statement that should never be
overheard. I can imagine that many people feel the same way about their
minority
dialects.

I cannot agree more with this statement. I've always thought the language in
which someone who is multilingual expresses him/herself shows the degree to
which they feel that emotion. For example, let's take someone (just to use
an example that's be near and and dear to my heart) who speaks Scots Gaelic,
English, and, let's say, Low Saxon (in that order). He's living in an area
where Low Saxon is the main language. He says everyday things in Saxon. When
writing professionally or dealing with foreigners, he uses English. But when
he wants to say something he really means - I love you, etc - he uses
Gaelic. I'm not saying that mother tongue is nearest to people. The point is
that the language one use(s)(d) among loved ones is one that one uses for
hisprofoundest emotions. (That's a lot of ones for the sake of gender
neutrality!)

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Latha math, a Uilleam!

Are you sure you understood Gabriele correctly?  Or is it I who
misunderstood her?  To me it sounded like to some people their minority
languages may be so private that they don't want to be heard using them in
public.  Did I get that wrong?  If I am right, let me play the devil's
advocate and counter by asking Gabriele and others who share her feelings
how use of a language can be such a sensitive matter.  Why would anyone keep
his or her language so private?  What would happen if someone heard it?
Perhaps think of you as inferior because you are using a language that has
been marked "inferior"?  Certainly, that's what I and my peers were beaten
into believing and some of us have rejected in the meantime.  Why on earth
should I feel embarrassed about using a language, embarrassed like having
been caught in an intimate act or with my pants down?  Why this particular
language?  Why not a "power" language?  What is different about a minority
language?  Not mainstream, thus shameful?  Does this mean people ought to
stop using minority languages or else be exposed as exhibitionists?  Should
minority languages be confined to the home, to the bedroom and to
out-of-earshot situations?  Would that not be the ultimate in "selling out,"
the ultimate in sharpening the ax for the executioner?