LL-L "Taxonomy" 2003.10.08 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 8 18:59:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Philip Ernest Barber <pbarber at loc.gov>
Subject: LL-L "Taxonomy" 2003.10.08 (04) [E]

Speaking unofficially as a librarian (cataloger) at the Library of Congress,
I can say that a couple of things seem to be confused here.

First of all, there are language codes which are applied to bibliographic
records for books published in such and such a language.  Secondly, there
are subject headings for languages and dialects about which monographs have
been written and cataloged.  Both systems, language codes and subject
headings, are reactive and a posteriori; that is, dependent on what books we
have received to be cataloged.

If we have received no monographs or serials written in a particular
language, there is no language code for them; i.e., if we don't have a book
written in Low Saxon, there's no code for it yet.  Get such a book into our
system, and we will supply a code for it. (Unless the persons responsible
for administering these codes don't  correctly recognize it as a separate
language.)

Similarly, if there is no monograph or serial about  Low Saxon (or other
language or dialect), then neither will we have generated a subject heading
for it yet. Get us a book about the Doric dialect, and probably a subject
heading will be set up for it.

Notice that it is possible, therefore, for there to be  language codes for
books written in a certain language while there is no corresponding subject
heading for the language itself, since we have not received any book  about
that language which would require us to set up a subject heading for it.
Note again that the systems are set up only for monographs, not journal
articles, for instance.

In essence, then, the Library of Congress does not supply an a priori
universal taxonomy of languages and dialects. Everything is subject to
change as new books come in on new topics.

Again, not an official or complete statement about LOC policy.