LL-L "Anthem" 2003.10.11 [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 11 10:00:11 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.October.2003 * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Onderwerp: "Anthems"
Van: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 2:37 am

Tom Byro wrote:
>A friend of mine told me
>years ago that Deutschland Ueber Alles was also based on a drinking song
>and he sang the song to prove it but I don't remember the name or how it
>went.

Some drinking song!!!  See http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/l/glorious.htm

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

------------------

Van: "Heinrich Becker" <Heinrich.Becker at gmx.net>
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 11:23 am

Hi,

"Deutschland ueber alles" song has never been a drinking song, but initially
a song of homesickness and patriotism. It is not proved that these feelings
broke up especially under influence of alcohol. The author Heinrich Hoffmann
von Fallersleben belonged to the movement of liberals in Germany in the
middle of the 19th century. Therefore he was put into exile where he wrote
these
lines as a result of getting homesick. You can easily understand the lines in
this more harmless way too.

A few decades later during the upcoming imperial chauvinism of the
Kaiserreich the meaning of the sentimental text - the two first verses -
was turned
into a chauvinistic one. The 3rd vers is the current text of German national
anthem.

Regards

Heinrich Becker

-------------------

Van: kcaldwell31 at comcast.net
Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 5:08 pm

> The American national anthem was composed by Francis Scott Key while a
> prisoner aboard a British ship off the coast of America.  I don't know
> if this counts as a state of exile or not.  Interestingly though, it was
> based on a drinking song, "In Anakreon of Old".  I wonder how many
> national anthems are based on drinking songs?  A friend of mine told me
> years ago that Deutschland Ueber Alles was also based on a drinking song
> and he sang the song to prove it but I don't remember the name or how it
> went.  Is there a traditional Helgoland drinking song that is similar to
> Deutschland Ueber Alles?
>
> Tom Byro

To be more precise, Francis Scott Key, a lawyer from Frederick, Maryland,
wrote the
poem "The Star-Spangled Banner" in 1814 while aboard a British ship in the
Chesapeake Bay within sight of Ft. McHenry in Baltimore.  He was on the
ship to
negotiate a prisoner release while the British were bombarding the fort.

I don't know if he had the tune of the drinking song "To Anacreon in
Heaven" in mind
when he wrote the words, or if it just happened to fit.

Kevin Caldwell (kcaldwell31 at comcast.net)

---------------------

Van: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Datum: Za, 11 oktober, 2003 3:05 am

> ly though, it was
> based on a drinking song, "In Anakreon of Old".  I wonder how many
> national anthems are based on drinking songs?  A friend of mine told me
> years ago that Deutschland Ueber Alles was also based on a drinking song

The music associated with Australia's unofficial National Anthem "Waltzing
Matilda" was actually pinched from a much older Scottish Folk Song "The
Bonnie Woods of Craigie Lee".

Regards
Tom

Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."