LL-L "Language use" 2003.10.13 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 13 13:20:03 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.October.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Language use"
Datum: Za, 11 oktober, 2003 10:49 pm

> Onderwerp: " Language use"
> Van: "sam claire" <samclaire at mybluelight.com>
> Datum: Vr, 10 oktober, 2003 10:37 pm
>
> Talking about languages which are used only within the family and among
> close friends, etc.  That was the case with English after the Normans
> shrouded the society with their French.  And ultimately English survived
> and won out.

True, but this sort of thing doesn't happen just by luck. Cornish-speaking
scholars
recognised the situation and started a campaign to get people to use the
language
publicly. Of course, the irony of this is not lost on us.

On the other hand, if people won't use a language publicly, then it will
die out.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/