LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.10.13 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 13 17:36:26 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2003 (16) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.10.10 [E]

Hai all
Frederic Baert wrote:
>I think it's interesting to note that the verb "to love" doesn't really
exist in dutch and in west- flemish.

I don't agree.  We do have the word in Dutch, but it's a long one and we
split it up in  a sentence.  I think the word 'liefhebben' is a good
translation, but I don't know if it is used nowadays.  When used, it would
be: 'Ik heb je lief'.

>For saying "I love you", we use in west flemish: "'k zien je geirn" which
can be litterally translated in high german " ich sehe dich gern" (I don't
see how to correctly and litterally translate it in english. To me it sounds
as "I see you with delight").

What about saying: 'I love seeing you / being with you / I love your
company'?  Does any of those come close?

>Note that I know it's the way to say "I love you" in west flemish but I
never heard my parents say it. I also never heard my parents say it in
french to me or between them. As a consequence, I never say "I love you" in
west flemish or in french to anyone. I just can't say it!

Same here.  (My parents were both half Frisian and Protestant.)  But, I've
learned to say it, although I don't say it often.  There is an old lady (in
her eigthties) who we regularly visit, and she sometimes says it.  How can
you then not say the same to her (and mean it)?  And sometimes the (between
4 and 7-year-old) children in my class tell me that they love me.  Same
thing; with children I find it easier to say, and to be natural, because
they take you as you are.  And, to hug or not to hug...?  I used to dodge
them, when I first came across them, in the UK.  Got somewhat used to them
now, but I'm still selective when hugging anyone myself.

Groeten, Jannie Lawn