LL-L "Delectables" 2003.10.16 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 16 16:01:03 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.October.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.19.16 (04) [E]

Luc wrote:

> All the bakeries in Flanders sell "Boules de
> Berlin"(Berliner/Berliijnse bollen). According to the traditions,only
> on wednesdays. I think it has something to do with the war, but i'm not
> sure.
> It is a round sort of a cake with confectionerscream.

In the USA (at least on the West coast), they sell them as "Bismarcks".
They're filled with confectioner's cream and often covered with chocolate.

The German "Berliner" (short for "Berliner Pfannkuchen") is filled with jam,
not cream; the traditional flavor is plum, but nowadays it's mostly apricot
or raspberry. Since they're mostly eaten at New Year's or carnival, there's
also a tradition of filling ONE of the batch with hot mustard (you can even
order them like that from the bakery). I usually simply announce that one of
them is filled with mustard (even though it never is) just to watch people
eyeing them with supicion and nibbling them veeery carefully.

Here, now, is the recipe for Americans. I usually make a double or triple
batch.

65 g butter or margarine
125 g sugar
2 eggs
2 cl rum
350 g flour
6 teaspoons baking powder (for Germans: 1 Tütchen)
1/8 l milk

Icing: 200 g powdered sugar, 3 cl rum

Beat butter, sugar, eggs, rum ans some of the flour together, blend until
smooth; add the rest of the flour, baking powder and milk and stir some more
(this is quite a firm, heavy batter).

Place largish blobs of batter (about two heaping tablespoons each) on a
greased baking sheet, about 15-20 cm (6-8 inches) apart. Bake at 170° C
(350°F) for 20 minutes until very light brown.

The blobs will run and spread, ideally in a neat circle (if they don't, use
more liquid the next time). After they are baked, the flat bottom becomes
the top which is iced with a glaze of powdered sugar and rum.

You can also use a chocolate glazing; often bakeries also sell them glazed
half black and half white (maybe an explanation for the name "Americans"?).

The rum is essential in the batter, don't leave it out. The alcohol will
evaporate when you bake it. You can, however, replace the rum in the icing
with lemon juice.

Eet smakelijk!!
Gabriele