LL-L "Phonology" 2003.10.16 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 16 16:13:07 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.August.2003 (16) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Gary wrote (under "Orthography"):

> [Quick summary in standard orthography - A friend of
> mine from Devon made the plural of 'breakfast' as
> 'breakfasses' :-) - a reinforcement of comments made
> earlier on this list about final consonant cluster
> simplification.

I have heard this before, from British, Australian and American people,
also things like "This sort of food isn't very breakfassy" or "It was a
sort of breakfassy or brunchy affair."  "Breakfassy" sounds less weird to
me than "breakfasty."

> Also, whilst writing above and thinking a bit more
> about stress, I noticed that I stress the word weekend
> on the second syllable - is this a general exception
> to the compound noun rule in English or just a
> peculiarity of my own accent??]

While it seems to sound strange to American ears (as does "icecréam" --
sounding like "I scream" -- instead of "ícecream"), I hear this sort of
stress pattern a lot from non-American speakers.

I assume there is a strange morpheme boundary issue going on in such
cases, perhaps some sort of analysis of "week..." and "ice..." in
adjectival place, along the pattern of "sour créam" vs "sóur cream."  What
is peculiar in the case of "weekénd," though, is that the /k/ becomes the
onset of the second syllable, thus "wee-kénd," at least in the versions I
have heard.

Cheers!