LL-L "Delectables" 2003.10.17 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 17 17:50:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.OCT.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Shirley Wyatt:

> Hi,
> Could you share your recipe?  It would be interesting.
> Shirley Loeschen Wyatt

Shirley et al., below is a recipe (in English) for "Amerikaner."  Note,
though, in case you want to make it extra fancy, that the icing is sometimes
two-colored: white and pink, half and half, sharing the top surface.  You
could make the white icing lemon-flavored (as described) and the pink one
raspberry- or strawberry-flavored (using raspberry or strawberry juice
instead of lemon juice), or you could make one side brown by using chocolade
or cocoa.  To give it an Eastern touch, try the Yin&Yang symbol!  (Just
kidding.)

Being a lover of cardamon (and thus giving our Swedish friends much credit
for their baking tradition), I suggest adding a pinch of that wonderful
spice, which will make the Amerikaner taste like the "old-time American
sugar cookies" I mentioned and suspect to be the ancestor of the German
"Amerikaner."

Laat Ju dat goud smeken, leyve lüyd'!

P.S.: For all but our American subscribers: 390 degree Fahrenheit are 200
degrees Celsius.

***
Here's the recipe:

AMERIKANER

150g (5.25oz) margarine or butter, unsalted

125g (4.38oz) sugar

¾ tbsp. Vanilla sugar

2 eggs

300g (10.5oz) flour

2 tsp baking powder

Lemon extract

150g (5.25oz) confectioners sugar

6 tsp lemon juice

This recipe makes 6 large Amerikaner or 12 small ones (then reduce the dough
portion for each Amerikaner to half). First of all beat the margarine,
sugar, vanilla sugar and eggs until frothy. Combine flour with baking powder
and add to the margarine/butter-egg mixture. Season with lemon extract to
desired taste. Pre-heat oven to 390 F. Line a cookie sheet with baking
parchment. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet, 2 inch apart. They will
double in size during baking. Bake for 13-15 min until light brown (do not
overbake!). Meanwhile combine the confectioner’s sugar and the lemon juice
to make the frosting. Brush on the frosting while they are warm.