LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.10.21 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 21 20:26:19 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.OCT.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.10.21 (03) [E]

> From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.10.20 (07) [E/French]
>
> In Flanders, there is still an upperclass which continues to speak
> French amongst likely people.
> Especially the 'noblesse' goes on using French as their aristocratic
> language (- some of our Belgian Royal family hardly can speak the
> language of the majority of their country -)
> The funny thing is, that the French they use is very often an
> incredible bad, and terrible sounding French. Which makes it twice
> pathetic.
>
> denis dujardin
> Flanders

Hello All,

I would like to know what is "bad" and "terrible sounding" French?

Do people in Montpellier, Marseilles, Alsace, Brittany, Quebec, or Lyons
speak "bad sounding" French? Or is it just that they don't speak with
the same pointu accent and politically correct jargon as those in the
economical and power-holding area of France, basically Paris to Tours
region?

Please tell me this isn't a confusion between politics and linguistics.

Regards,

Tom
--
Carpe Diem.