LL-L "Connections" 2003.10.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 25 19:19:01 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.OCT.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Arthur A. Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2003.10.24 (08) [E]

Lieve/Kjaere/Chara/cara/cher/Lieber/
Ron!

It never fails to amaze me just how many languages you have mastered in both
content and spirit!

Furthermore, I noticed in one recent scholarly contribution from you a brief
mention of Tocharian (although I missed seeing whether it was "A" or "B"). I
would refer you to the vast commentaries on the Mummies of Uighur. Nothing
makes the Indo-European heart palpitate quite like the sight of those very
European --possibly Celtic-- preserved bodies, all in their best clothing
closely resembling those at Hallstatt near Salzburg, even up to the wooden
chariot wheels, the plaid trousers, and the knitting frames with yarn still
on them, painfully similar to Aran Island chain stitching.

Then, we look at the map showing both the Hindu Kush and northeastern
panhandle of Afghanistan, and at the sites of caravansarai where Tocharian
was spoken. Only a hop,skip and a jump further to Uighur, isn't it?

Could the mummies, if they could speak today, tell us something about the
origins of Tocharian? Could they tell us more about the spread of technology
and commerce during the Hallstatt and La Tene cultures?

Confidentially, I hold a Diplom in Germanistik from
Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universitaet, Bonn, and a Doktor Jura (Internationales
Privatrecht) from Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet, Munich. My wife and I
have lived and practiced (human rights law; linguistic minorities) in Rome,
Munich, Zurich, Augsburg, Brussels, Amsterdam, London, Abergavenny,
Machynllyth (Powys), Paris, Werchter (bij Mechelen), Hamburg, Jork,
Mitternkirchern, Stade, and Norderstedt.

We are daily thrilled by the tapestry you have woven. Many thanks indeed.

Arthur A. Jones, J.D., Dr.jur.
7843 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91605
(818) 429-2781

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Connections

Dear Arthur,

Thank you very much for your kind words, which I don't really deserve,
certainly all to myself.  Lowlands-L goes way beyond me.  It benefits from
support, efforts and input of many people, some of them having been with us
since the List’s inception in early 1995.

Attitude, viewpoint, is basic; everything else follows.  We are all
"linguists;" just most of us aren't (fully) aware of it or don’t dare
believe it, thus stand in the way of their own linguistic potentials.
Awareness is basic, as are curiosity ... love ... feeling connected with
everyone and everything by layers and layers of ancestral legacy.

> Furthermore, I noticed in one recent scholarly contribution from you a
brief
> mention of Tocharian (although I missed seeing whether it was "A" or "B").

Are you sure it was I?  Well, perhaps.

> Then, we look at the map showing both the Hindu Kush and northeastern
> panhandle of Afghanistan, and at the sites of caravansarai where Tocharian
> was spoken. Only a hop,skip and a jump further to Uighur, isn't it?

There used to be large settlements of Tocharians in what is now Xinjiang
(Sinkiang, Eastern Turkestan, "Chinese Turkestan"), an area in which
Chinese, Tibetan, Turkic, Mongolic and Indo-European people have for many
centuries rubbed shoulders and mixed cultures, languages and genes.  In
fact, it is anything but absurd to assume that today’s Turkic-speaking
Uyghurs are partly of Tocharian descent.  I spent weeks just studying the
ancient cave frescoes depicting people with different looks and attire
peacefully interacting, learning from each other and worshipping with each
other.  (It is easy to experience epiphanies and visions in the
history-laden deserts, steppes and mountains of Central Asia, at the great
Eurasian confluence.  I recommend a visit.)

> We are daily thrilled by the tapestry you have woven. Many thanks indeed.

Oh, it is by no means I who weaves the tapestry!  I just make sure we get
together to study at least one small part of the vast pattern, the
intricacies of a single rosette.  But I always have in the back of my mind
the hope that this will lead people to learning to admire the great,
wonderful tapestry in its entirety, with all its layers and interwoven
patterns.  I am particularly heartened by the company on this list of quite
a number of people who in the great scheme of things may be considered quite
young, some participating in list projects.  (Just today we had a
15-year-old person join Lowlands-L from England.  A special welcome to her.)

Obviously, you are one who can see all of the tapestry, Arthur, or at least
knows it's there.  Undoubtedly, your work in the area of human rights,
including the rights of linguistic minorities, gives you a very special
vantage point.  I am happy you joined us and appreciate what we do or try to
do here.

Thank you for your support!

Friendly regards,