LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.10.26 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 26 18:53:07 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Grammar Books

Hello Ron,
I have just purchased a book "Dutch a comprehensive grammar" by Bruce
Donaldson and was offended by the the terminology used in the book to
describe Plat or Platt. The preface and glossary describes it as a label
used in Dutch to refer to any linguistic phenomenon that is considered sub
standard or stigmatised and is better avoided by the learner. My
understanding of Plat is that it refers to Non Dutch languages such as
Limburgs and Niedersassich by speakers of those languages and is more
commonly called countryside languages as these people spoke their local
languages and dialects of those local languages as well as the official
state languages when required. It seems to me the description being applied
to the meaning of Plat in this book is by a government in denial of these
languages or someone who has no ownership of these alternative to Dutch
languages and seeks only to undermine and delegate to the vulgar or simple.
In other words those who speak those languages are vulgar, simple people and
should only speak Dutch. There is no mention of Frisian, Lowlands Saxon or
Limburgs and their influences to and from Dutch. Perhaps I am over reacting
here but I remember all the Limburgers living in Australia who my parents
shared their lives with always saying their language and culture was
different to Dutch. It was always being denigrated as just some silly
carnival stuff for fools by the those living in the northern part of
Netherlands. Limburgers were made to feel as if they had a chip on their
shoulder. (Sounds like the USA). I have relatives in Hilversum and  other
areas as well as Frisian relatives living in Amsterdam and I know they do
not refer to Plat as second rate. Should I write to the author and ask for
an explanation or possibly an addendum in the next issue? The ISBN is
0-415-15419-7 Routledge Grammars.
Tot Ziens
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au