LL-L "Resources" 2003.10.24 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 28 23:24:11 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.OCT.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Lowlanders,

Thanks to one of our newest members, Stefan Lubbersen of South Africa, we
now have a Lowlands-L welcoming page and application form version in Veluwe
Lowlands Saxon (of Veluwe, Netherlands).  You will find it by going to our
homepage (http://www.lowlands-l.net/) and then to "Low Saxon" under
"Language Varieties."

Welkom en bedankt, Stefan!

Thanks to Kenneth Rohde Christiansen for his introduction to the projects
OpenOffice, Open Source and GNU.  Thanks also to our Mathieu van Woerkom for
following up.  These seem really worthwhile and laudable efforts aimed at
affording software access without economic prerequisits other than access to
computers, and it is nice to see versions in "lesser-seen" languages being
developed.  Hopefully -- once I get out from under my load of work to be
done -- I will pitch in a little translation time.

I have downloaded OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org) and find it to be a
very nice software suite, certainly containing a lot of bells and whistles
for no money.  The text editor can also deal with non-Roman scripts,
including Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese, Korean and Chinese.
Very impressive!  This program has places to go.  I have not yet tried the
other programs.

I had some problems installing OpenOffice at first, because it did not work
with the downloading-and-installing program that comes with Internet
Explorer.  I ended unzipping and installing it with Netzip Classic
(http://www.real.com/accessories/?prod=netzipclassic).

I agree that their use in software interfaces gives languages a certain
measure of status and that we would do well helping with such efforts.  Of
course, some of us, especially those of us on the Scots and Lowlands Saxon
(Low German) fronts, still have the contentious issue of orthography to deal
with before anything like this can be attempted.

Kenneth, it would be helpful if you let us know how much work would be
involved if one took on a translation project.

Good luck with your projects, and thanks again!