LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.10.29 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 30 21:02:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.10.29 (02) [E]

Ron,

You might like to know that on a recent visit to the Netherlands, one of my
Dutch friends referred to the people of Groningen and Stellingwerf as
'Saxons', so the message seems to be getting through.

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Críostóir,

I don't think prejudices* against Saxony's dialects of German ever reached
the Netherlands.  So this emotional hangup about "Saxon" has not been an
issue in that country, and, as far as I know, the people in the Netherlands
in this context use "Saxon" (_Saksisch_) with regard to descent from Old
Saxon.  They seem to have done so for a long time, formerly referring to the
Lowlands Saxon dialects of the Netherlands as "Saxon dialects of Dutch."

* These West German prejudices are purely emotionally based, a combination
of finding the centralized vowels (which are unique within German) "ugly,"
exacerbated by the " Saxon-colored" "High German" pronunciation (_sächseln_)
of Walter Ulbricht and other despised "Saxon" politians and functionaries of
former East Germany.  I can do a fairly convincing "Saxon accent" (in part
thanks to long-time exposure to a long-time "Saxon" girlfriend) and have
been known to put it on just to aggrevate the heck out of certain chauvinist
West Germans and to study their reactions and their attempts at hiding their
disgust.  (Who said I was *always* nice?  At least I can say that I have
*never* divided language varieties up into "beautiful" and "ugly.")