LL-L "Holidays" 2003.10.31 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 31 18:05:07 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 31.OCT.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Administrativa" 2003.10.29 (05) [E]

Hi Ron and all,

Ron you wrote:

>Lowlanders, I forgot to mention (which is unforgivable) that I very
much hope that all of our members living in Southern California are
>safe, that they and their loved ones are not directly affected by the
terrible wild fires. ...
>We'll be thinking of you.

I agree and ask that you also spare a thought for:

+The mass slaughtered South African farmers and their workers (1, 585
since 1994). The rate stands at 313 per 100,000 - the highest for any sector
http://www.100megspop2.com/crimebusters/FarmVictims.html

+The 1758 police workers killed since 1994

+The South African woman who gets raped every 26 seconds. (It could be a
death sentence with 1 out of 7 rapist carrying HIV)

Read the statistics and feel for us.

http://www.100megspop2.com/crimebusters/Home.html
http://www.saps.gov.za/8_crimeinfo/bulletin/index.htm
http://groups.msn.com/adrianastuijtsjournalismduringapartheidsite

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Thanks, Elsie.

Indeed, I have been silently observing the developments in South and am
utterly appalled.  I am sure I am not the only one on this list to feel like
this.  Apparently the rate of killings of South African farmers and their
employees has by far surpassed that of Zimbabwe, and the statistics of rape
and other crimes are staggering and outrageous, all the more so in that they
involve large numbers of children and juveniles.  Another tragic result is
that this development tends to foster extremist sentiments and polarization
rather than unity, and that in some quarters it appears to bring out
nostalgia for the "good old" times of apartheid.  We can only hope and pray
for improvement, and yes, many of us no doubt feel for our friends in South
Africa.

At the beginning of next week many of us will be thinking of the departed on
the numerous national variants of the Day of the Dead.  Hopefully we will
include a thought or two for all the lives that were taken by violence and
by preventable disease all around the world.

In the meantime, I wish those of you that celebrate it a happy All Saints'
Day.