LL-L "Names" 2003.09.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 1 20:50:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: marco [evenhuiscommunicatie] <marco at evenhuiscommunicatie.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.08.31 (08) [E]

Luc Hellinckx wrote:

> "Petronilla" would surely have been "Nelleke" in Brabantish, but in
> Sint-Omaars people
> spoke Flemish of course *s*. In Kortrijk (Flanders) therefore, forms like
> "Peroenne",
> "Peroenkin" and "Nella" have been attested as early as 1400 A.D. I can't
> tell you much
> about "Guilbertus" unfortunately. Originally, the names "Gillebertus" and
> "Giselbertus" coincided. In Brabant anyway, we would say something like
"de
> Zjille" or
> "den Beire" these days.

In Zeelandic, a regional language very closely related to the West-Flemish
(or even more: Artesian) of Sint Omaars (Saint Omer), Petronella is either
"Nele", "Neeltje" or "Piete", "Pie". I think this goes for West-Flemish as
well. Guilbertus is "Gilles" in Zeelandic and I bet that's the same in
West-Flemish as well.
A short remark about the language of Sint Omaars:  a lot of linguists find
that the dialect of this city should be called South-Flemish or (Germanic)
Artesian. There were quite a  number of differences between the West-Flemish
of neighbouring villages in what is now the French départment Nord (once
part of the county of Flanders) and the germanic dialects once spoken in
parts of what is now the départment Pas-de-Calais (once part of the county
of Artesia - Artois). Within the area where this now extinct South-Flemish
was spoken,  Sint Omaars was probably part of a transitional area of
dialects with both West and South Flemish characteristics.

regards,

Marco [Evenhuis]