LL-L "Names" 2003.09.08 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 8 14:35:35 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.SEP.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Names

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Back to names, folks.  I think it would be interesting to compile a short
list of "basic" given ("first") names in the various Lowlands languages.
Frisian names used to be very popular just after World War II; e.g., Uwe,
Heino and Frauke.

Dag Lowlanders,
it is nice to be back home.
In my family tree we have some names that repeat through history. Cornelis
(Dutch) was around in the 1650's in Brabant and then there was Cornelius
(Latinized) in the 1670's. Other common family names were Hubertus and
Lambertus (Germanic, Teutonic?). There was also a Mechtildis (Germanic)and a
Mechtilda. My own mothers name was Maria Odilia but all her life she was
called Tilly or Tilke in memory of Mechtilda. There is one name that does
not seem to be Germanic - Joris. I think it sounds Danish or something
similar. There is also a name from about 1600 in Noord Brabant called
Dingmannus and also a Dingeman. I have absolutely no knowledge of its origin
or meaning. Perhaps these could be a starting point for comparing in the
various Lowlands languages.
Tot ziens
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au