LL-L "Names" 2003.09.09 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 9 14:58:45 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.SEP.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.09.08 (01) [E]

> From: Peter Snepvangers
> <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
> Subject: Names
>
> Dag Lowlanders,
> it is nice to be back home.
> In my family tree we have some names that repeat
> through history. [...]
 There is also a name from about 1600 in
> Noord Brabant called
> Dingmannus and also a Dingeman. I have absolutely no
> knowledge of its origin
> or meaning. [...]

Hi,

Concerning (the Brabant name) Dingeman(s):
In former centuries it happened that a family-name was
given as the 1st or 2nd first name; this occurred
especially in well-to-do-families. The reason was
mostly to impress esp. nearby living competing
families.
Other example: Linthorst Homan. For some centuries
Linthorst was given as the 2nd first name, so in 'Dirk
Linthorst Homan' Homan was the family name and Dirk
and Linthorst the 2 first names. But everybody was
impressed by the 'double' family name.

vr. gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Jan van Steenbergen <wenedyk at yahoo.co.uk>

Hello.

 --- Peter Snepvangers skrzypszy:

> There was also a Mechtildis (Germanic) and a
> Mechtilda.

As far as I can tell, the most common contemporary
forms of these names in Dutch are Mathilde and
Machteld.

-
> Joris. I think it sounds Danish or something
> similar.

Isn't Joris simply the Dutch equivalent of "George",
as in: "St. Joris en de Draak"?

> There is also a name from about 1600 in Noord
> Brabant called Dingmannus and also a Dingeman. I
> have absolutely no knowledge of its origin
> or meaning.

Allowing my brains for some free association, I
immediately made a link to another name, "Dingenis",
which happens to be the second name of a friend of
mine. However, the connection turned out to be
non-existent. "Dingenis" is a Dutch equivalent of
"Dignus".

"Dingeman" is of Germanic origin. According to
<http://www.voornamenboek.nl/Bet1.htm> a "Dingeman" is
a "man uit de rechtszaak", whatever that is supposed
to mean.

Best,
Jan van Steenbergen
Zaandam

----------

From: Evert Mouw <post at evert.net>

> There is one name that does
> not seem to be Germanic - Joris. I think it sounds Danish or something

If Danes are nor Germanic, who are? Please pay attention to the difference
between "German" and "Germanic". The Germanic tribes include the peoples of
England, Holland, Scandinavia (but not the Fins), Germany, Austria, and a
few people in France, Italy, and Spain. And their colonies, like America, of
course.

Regards
Evert