LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.12 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Sep 13 00:05:15 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.SEP.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Terrence Connor" <tconnor at broadpark.no>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.11 (06) [E]

Does anyone know of any other examples?

My pen is in my hand (eng)
My pen is in my hand (afrikaans)

Terrence

----------

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.12 (04) [E]

Evert:
I ran across this a couple of years ago while surfing too.  It looks like in
that time that a lot more work has been posted to the site.  It seems very
interesting.  For me it's a nice break.

I work for the state government in the agency that administers Unemployment
Insurance (UI) benefits.  My job is to develop and write training materials
for the staff in the UI department.  In addition, I do a fair amount of
translation from English into Spanish, because our agency is required by law
to make all of our publications and services in Spanish.  I also happen to
be the person who records the telephone announcements for our seven call
centers ("your call will be answered in the order in which...") in both
English and Spanish.  All of this to say that I get overloaded with latinate
words all day, and have found myself wanting to use the Germanic parts of
English when I'm not at work.  The Germanic side of English just seems so
much more "down to earth" than the intellectually high-falutin' Latin side
of English.  That's part of why I subscribe to this list.  Thanks for the
link.

Mark