LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.15 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 16 00:42:54 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.13 (08) [E]

A chairde

Dan Ryan-Prohaska wrote:
"I must add however, that many of the developments
that make West Frisian seem so close to English are
secondary and developed quite independently at very
different periods!"

I don't want to offend any Frisians but as a native
English speaker I don't find Westerlauwer Frisian as
close to English as claimed - it is far closer to
Dutch and Low Saxon in its lexicon and grammar.
Obviously these similarities came about through a
mixture of proximity, linguistic oppression and
maintenance of the pan-Lowlandic features that English
lost as a consequence of the disruptive influence of
Norman French and Latin (particularly with regards
lexicon and grammar).

What are these "secondary independent developments",
Dan?

Criostóir.