LL-L "Resources" 2003.09.16 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 16 23:52:02 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.SEP.2003 (16) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pepijn Hendriks <pepijnh at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.09.03 (01) [E]

On 3 September, UB82DN at aol.com <UB82DN at aol.com> [Joe Stromberg]
wrote:

>I suppose the ultimate solution is to buy a copy of Julius Pokorny's
>famous dictionary, but it is still hovering around $525 used, according
>to Amazon. In the meantime, I would settle for a decent journal article
>on the subject.

If you mean Pokorny's 'Indogermanisches etymologisches Wörterbuch',
this is available (in database format) from the International
Institute for Asian Studies at Leiden University:
<http://iiasnt.leidenuniv.nl/cgi-
bin/startq.cgi?scriptname=main&root=leiden&flags=endnnnl&encoding=eng&
basename=%5Cdata%5Cie%5Cpokorny&links=links>. (I haven't been able to
find out what edition they've used exactly.)

Other databases (including e.g. Vasmer's etymological dictionary of
Russian) can be accessed through <http://iiasnt.leidenuniv.nl/cgi-
bin/main.cgi?flags=endnnnl&root=leiden>.

This server was offline for a few days - I tried it for a few days in
a row at the end of last week to no avail, but it seems to be back
online now. Let's hope it stays up.

-Pepijn