LL-L "Phonology" 2003.09.19 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 19 20:30:48 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rha at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.09.19 (03) [E]

>From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
>Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.09.17 (06) [E]
>I was sure that nasal vowels in french West Flemish wasn't an influence
>from French because my Flemish has numerous nasal vowels that don't
exist
>in French. This makes flemish hard to pronounce for a French-speaking
>person (I tried to make a friend pronounce "joenge", English "boy",
and she
>was never able to say it!). I thought that, if nasal vowels were a
French
>influence, West Flemish would have the same nasal vowels or less than
>French, but not more!
>Now you said me that lowlands Saxon dialects have noticeable vowel
>nasalisation before nasal consonants too. I don't think it's an
influence
>from French! So nasal vowels in french West Flemish must be an
influence
>from old Saxon. But is it impossible to think that old Frankish
also had
>nasal vowels now lost in standard Dutch? In this case nasal vowels in
>French could also be another inheritance from old Frankish!

Possibly.
Note that Frisian has nasalized (I prefer to call them) vowels too,
and so have many accents of American English. And they occur
(non-phonemically, I think) in Amsterdam accents of Dutch.
--
http://rudhar.com/index/whatsnew.htm