LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 22 21:34:20 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.22 (02) [E]

>> From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
>> Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.19 (05) [E]
> luc vanbrabant
> I have to mention also that a part of the Flemish nobility already
> spoke
> French, and that a part of the French nobility still spoke southern
> Flemish.
> F.i. the town of Boulogne in "France" spoke  "Diets" in those days. The
> whole matter is very complicated.
>
> Hello Luc,
> Does the word "Diets" refer to Dutch as the word Duits refers to
> German?
> Daag
> Peter Snepvangers
> snepvangers at optushome.com.au

Hi,

The word "Diets" just means language of the people, which in those days
was f.i. Franconian (old Flemish), South-Flemish, West-Flemish...., in
fact all the languages that were part of the Low-German area in Western
Europe.

Groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>

Beste Laaglanders

Denis Dujardin wrote: Not forgetting to mention that some churches in the
Norfolk area, have a typical Flemish architecture, which refers to the
churches of Flemish villages such as Oostkerke and Lissewege.
There is much more Dutch and Flemish influence in the UK.  Maybe more in
East Anglia than other areas, as it is closer to the NL and Belgium.  I read
in a book about Norwich, that a few centuries ago 1/3 of its population was
Dutch.  They also have many so-called 'Dutch gables', which do look like the
Dutch ones.  I've seen them in other places as well.  Just typed 'Dutch
gables' in on the internet search page, and sites that come up (only looked
at the forst page) include placenames such as: Southwold, Canterbury,
Somerleyton Hall and Blickling Hall (both in Norfolk, East Anglia),
Lancashire, Portsmouth, etc.

And in Lavenham there are many Flemish weavers' cottages, which the tourists
come to see.  I read in an online article the following: In 1527, when
England's population numbered 5,000,000, London alone had 15,000 Flemings.
In 1562, 40,000 more arrived and as many in the following years.

Groeten, Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra