LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.22 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 22 23:03:42 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2003.09.21 (02) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Orthography"
> I've heard people on this list saying that they don't see spelling
mistakes
> in French. This mystifies me ...

I regularely do projects in Southern Belgium and Northern France and I must
confirm that many French speakers make many spelling errors.
I guess because they are not very much aware of the grammatical structure of
the language; so they mix up "parler" with "parlez" and "parlé" etc.

I have the impression that, while Belgian French speakers obviously speak
their French much more fluently and correctly than Flemish speakers do when
talking French, Flemish people rarely make such "capital" grammatical
mistakes against written French, as French speakers often do.

Regards,
Roger