LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.09.24 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 24 15:14:10 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: William Parker <William.Parker at three.co.uk>
Subject: Language Contacts - Helgoland

Ron / John,

Regarding Helgoland my information indicates that the population was
returned to Helgoland / Dunne c 1952-1953 following the end of the [British]
Military control zone which lasted from 5 May 1945 - 1 Mar 1952.
A rhyme in local dialect says, "Grön is dat Land, rood is de Kant, witt is
de Sand, dat is de Flagg vun't hillige Land", i.e. "green is the land, red
is the cliff, white is the sand, that is the flag of our holy land".

It is likely that this enforced period of exile - for up to 10 years in some
cases including the war years - may have influence the speech of the
islanders on their return.  One thinks of the impact on the Channel
Islanders use of the old Norman French dialect which was greatly reduced -
and is now almost terminal - as a consequence of the twin disruptions of a
significant portion of the population being evacuated and military
occupation.

The following links re Helgoland may be of interest:

http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Germany.html#Heligoland
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/H/Helgolan.asp