LL-L "List" 2003.09.24 (18) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 24 20:31:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.SEP.2003 (18) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "List" 2003.09.22 (12) [E/German]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography

> Lowlands-L *never* had any dealings with that organization.  In fact,
> misled
> by the misspelled URL, it took me until today to find its website:
> www.newhansa.netfirms.com .
>
> I find it extremely surprising -- to put it mildly -- that we got
> mentioned
> in the same "breath" with it.  If it is not a case of mistaken
> identity I
> assume it is a case of insufficient research and jumping to false
> conclusions that lead to the erroneous assumption that Lowlands-L aims
> at
> (re-)establishing some sort of fantasy land, some sort of Lowlands
> utopia.
> Anyone who spends as little as five minutes dealing with us will know
> that
> this is a totally unfounded, ludicrous assumption, if not an insult to
> our
> intelligence.
>
> Cheers!
> Reinhard/Ron
Hi Ron,

I just had a look at the website above.
I feel  embarassed  that the URL comes from Belgium. Everybody has to
be proud of their origins so to  be able to look at other cultures and
share the sane intrest to want to learn about each other. No culture is
above another, there are facts, history items, persons ... with whom
you agree or disagree. But the above case is nothing of the  sort.
Please be aware that i think that if it wasn't so dangerous it would be
ridicoulus.
Saying that, we may well create a fantasy land where everybody  finds
one another in (attempting) perfect harmony. Make peace not war!
Lowlands is an example for Europe (and the  world) that people  can get
along very well,that people can learn from each other, even with a
different history and background.

groetjes
luc vanbrabant
oekene

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: List

Thanks, Luc, but there's no need for you or for any other Belgian to feel
embarrassed.  At least on this list we are not in the habit of allowing the
deeds, tastes and aims of individuals on or off the List to reflect on
entire groups, societies or nations with which they happen to be associated.
Yes, we do talk about our respective backgrounds, but I can fairly
confidently say that most or even all of us are mature and intelligent
enough to avoid letting the "uglier" things affect the images we have of
each other as individuals.  Well, I can safely speak only for myself when I
say that I never think of you as "that Belgian."  I am hopeful that in this
regard I am in the majority on this list.  In fact, I am sure that thinking
of each other as individuals first is a key ingredient for the positive
atmosphere and for the success of Lowlands-L.  If it weren't for this
atmosphere we would all slink and slump about blaming each other and feeling
responsible for the ills of our respective nations -- not an atmosphere
conducive to reaching our objectives.

Your goodwill and support is much appreciated.

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net