LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.25 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 25 15:24:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Peter J. Wright <peterjwright at earthlink.net>
Subject: Old English Verb Forms

A short while ago, there was a list discussion in which someone explained
why the English verb "to go" is defective, in that the past tense is "went",
derived from the verb "to wend".

My question is: What was the original past tense of the verb "to go" in OE,
and what form could it hypothetically have today *if* it had not
disappeared, or, if you will, *if* it had not went its way into oblivion . .
. ?

Consider:

Danish
“ga”  “gik” gangen

Swedish
“ga” “gick” gangen

Icelandic
“ganga” “gekk” “ganginn”

Dutch
“gaan" “ging” “gegaan”

German
“gehen” “ging” “gegangen”

Ergo:

English
“go” “??” “gone”

“gid” ? [gId]

Could it be that, since other phonetic changes had by that time occurred in
Old English (hich for example caused "g" before "i" to often be pronounced
as an voiced affricate ([dzh], as in "jungle")) caused people confusion over
whether or not the correct pronunciation of the word might not really be
[dzhId] instead of [gId]?  And that therefore a sort of general pandaemonium
ensued, and that everyone at one point just threw their hands up in dismay
one fine day and decided to just substitute "went" for "gid" in order to
skirt the whole issue?

?

Any ideas?  I'm open to any idea, no matter how far-fetched.  ;)

Curiously,

Peter Wright
New York, NY