LL-L "Language proficiency" 2003.09.25 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 25 22:42:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Language Proficiency

Críostóir wrote:

"What's a "correct verb form" and a "correct adverb"? You say you don't mind
people using their own spoken varieties but what if their variety uses what
you consider an "incorrect verb form" or an "incorrect
adverb"? Are they then 'unpraiseworthy' to you?"

Oh dear, I still seem to be rampaging through that hornet's nest, don't I?!
The problem is that at least three topics have got tangled up in this
discussion. For people who speak English as a native tongue (and perhaps for
those non-native speakers whose fluency in the language is exceptional) I
don't see any problem why they shouldn't be allowed to use any spoken forms
they please. It is a source of regret to me in fact that our language has
started to become so much more homogenous. The fact remains, however, that
native speakers need to have a standard literary language, or a standard
common language if you like. Spoken language has a big advantage over
written language in that both speakers are able to ask their interlocutor to
repeat anything not understood, and if repetition does not help, a more
detailed explanation might be sought. In written language it might be
possible to ask for a written explanation of some point or other, but you
will have to wait minutes,! hours, weeks or years to get that explanation.
That is why early printers, for example, tried to standardize the language
they were printing, they weren't always very successful but with the course
of time certain rules have been developed, and these form the basis of
standard spoken (and written) English today.

Now the foreign student of English already has a slight problem learning
from teachers with different accents of English, how much more difficult
would it be if every teacher he had was teaching him different dialect
forms, different verb forms and so on?

Therefore it is one thing to allow regional (or even ideodialectal) forms of
English in the context of everyday situations, and it is a different thing
to avoid imposing any rules at all on the usage of English in more formal
and teaching contexts. I would not consider the use of certain forms of
English in certain contexts "unpraiseworthy", but merely unwise, and
unhelpful.

My grandmother (from Preston, Lancashire) spoke such a heavy version of her
local dialect that I am sure native Lancastrians today wouldn't understand a
good deal of what she said. Had she tried teaching foreigners this language
it would have been useless to them outside the local area. There was nothing
"incorrect" or "unpraiseworthy" about her usage, her words and
pronunciations in fact were older than those in standard English.

I hope this has cleared up the ambiguity in my statements,

John