LL-L "Delectables" 2003.09.25 (15) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 25 23:54:09 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2003 (15) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.09.25 (11) [E]

Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be> schreef:

> E.g. for a turnover, puff pastry filled with stewed apple, often in form
of
> a triangle, on finds:
> - in Dutch: "appelflap"

Ik zou zoiets eerder een 'appelmeisje' noemen.  Een appelflap,
althans waar ik ben opgegroeid (Noordoost Nederland) is een in
deeg gedoopte schijf appel die dan gefrituurd wordt.  Appel-
flappen worden, net als oliebollen, voornamelijk met oudjaar
gegeten.

Gustaaf

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Gustaaf, Leyglanders,

[English below]

In Nourd-Düytschland hebt wy ook so wat: un dat stayt wul twüschen Juun
"appel-deyrns" (_appelmeisjes_) un Juun "öyl-bollen" (_oliebollen_).  By us
tou huus' segt wy daar "Berlyner" (<Berliner>) tou, un dat kümt vun
"Berlyner pan-kouken" af (Düytsch _Berliner (Pfannkuchen)_).  In olde tyden
vüng dat sachs ook mit 'n schyv' or stükje appel an, in deyg döypt un den in
smult {reuzel} braden.  Later wöyrd' dat tou 'n aard "kouken", dey in 't
Düytsche _Krapfen_, in 't Ingelsche _doughnut_ un in 't Jiddische
_פעמפיקל_/_pempikl_ heytt, man daar is keyn lok in, un vundagigendaags wardt
't tou meyrst in öyl braden.  Dat süyt mayst as 'n grötteren _oliebol_ uut.
Baven up kümt puder-tsukker or tsukker-glasuur.  Binnen vindst appel-muus,
marmelaad' or, vör dey ayschen (or dey glüks-appeln), mustert.  Un düt eett
wy ook tou Oldjaar, as Jy dat dout, tou meyrst tou Oldjaars-Avend.

(Gustaaf reported about _appelmeisjes_, a New Year's Eve treat of the
Eastern Netherlands: apple slices dipped in dough and fried, competing with
_oliebollen_ 'doughnuts'.)

In Northern Germany, too, we have something like that: it's somewhere in
between your "apple girls" (_appelmeisjes_) and your "oil balls"
(_oliebollen_).  Where I come from we call them _Berlyner_ (<Berliner>),
which is derived from _Berlyner pan-kouken_ (German _Berliner (Pfannkuchen)_
"Berlin-style pancake").   This, too, probably started as a slice or piece
of apple dipped in dough and fried in lard.  It developed into a type of
"cake," the type known as _Krapfen_ in German, "doughnut" in English and
_פעמפיקל_/_pempikl_ in Yiddish, but it has no hole in it, and nowadays it
tends to be fried in oil.  It looks like a larger type of _oliebol_.  It is
dusted with powdered sugar or covered with sugar glaze.  Inside you find
applesauce, jam or, for if you were naughty (or are lucky), mustard.  And
(traditionally) we eat this on New Year's Even also.

This gives me ideas, but, alas, it's off my diet list ...  :(