LL-L "Administrativa" 2003.09.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 26 15:31:51 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.SEP.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Peter J. Wright <peterjwright at earthlink.net>
Subject: Browser/E-mail settings for viewing foreign scripts

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your message on the above.  I've checked both my browser (IE6.0)
and my e-mail application (Outlook 2000), and both are set to UTC-8.
However, I'm experiencing the following problem and was hoping you could
help:

The foreign letters in the messages in the current "Morphology" string
appear in three different ways in each message.  (?)  In the first one, the
Russian letters appear just fine, but some of the OE vowels appear as boxes
(ic ga, ?u g?st).  In the second, both the Russian letters and the OE vowels
are both replaced by question marks, and in the third, all accented and
Cyrillic letters appear as boxes.  In none of them does the IPA letter
"nung" (= "ng", i.e., the voiced nasal velar continuant) appear correctly
(if indeed it should?).

Can you help me out?

Thanks.

Peter

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Peter,

I have a feeling that your problem has something to do with what font your
e-mail program loads when it goes into Unicode mode.  Some of the symbols I
used may only be available in the font called Arial Unicode.  If you have
this font, assign it to Unicode mode (I believe under "Tools" > "Options" >
"Read" > "Fonts" in your main window).  Downloading Arial Unicode used to be
free of charge.  It no longer is, is now a part of certain commercial
Microsoft software packages, including Windows XP and the latest versions of
MS Office, I believe.

Perhaps others have other suggestions for you.

Lowlanders,

List-related messages that are meant to be for my eyes only ought to be sent
to the address <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>.  Please do not send such
messages either to my private address (sassisch at yahoo.com) or to the posting
address of the List (lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org).  If you send it
to the latter I will assume it is meant for the List and will post it.

Thanks.
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
http://www.lowlands-l.net