LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.25 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 26 18:35:16 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.SEP.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.25 (09) [E]

>   For good measure, here are the Modern North Saxon forms of 'to go'
>   (Neo-Hanseatic spelling):
>
>   Infinitive: gaan
>   Present indicative: ik ga, du gayst, hey/sey/it~dat gayt, wy/jy/sey gaat
>   Past indicative: ik güng, du güngst, hey/sey/it~dat güng, wy/jy/sey
güngen
>   Past participle: (gegaan >) gaan
>
>   Regards,
>   Reinhard/Ron
>

> Here are the Flemish versions:
> Present indicative: 'k gao, je/gy gaot, hy /zy/et/da gaot, wyder/we gaon,
> gyder gaot(!)/ zyder gaon
> Past indicative: 'k ginge/gonge, je/gy ging/gong/gonk, hy ging/gong/gonk,
> wyder/we ging'/gong', gyder ging/gong/gonk, zyder/ze ging'/gong'
> past participle: gegaon/egaon ("oa" or "ao", because of the delicate
balans
> between a more a- or o- sound)
>
> groetjes
> luc vanbrabant
> oekene
>
> ----------
>
> From: Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <kenneth at gnu.org>
> Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.25 (06) [E]
>
> > Danish
> > “ga”  “gik” gangen
>
> gå, gik, har gået
>
> Western Jutish
> "gå", "gik/gek", "gåwn"
>
> Soutern Jutish
> "ge", "gik", "gawn"
>
> Kenneth

Here are Frisian forms (lot of varieties):

Westerlauwer Frisian:

"standard": gean
(ik gean, do giest, hy giet ; wy/jimme/hja geane)
past: gie
part.: gien.

But also: (past/part) gong/gongen and gyng/gongen occur.
In the present tense there is also dialectical forms "gon-": ik gon, wy
gonne, etc.
This occurs mainly in the north, I believe.
There appears to be a West Frisian *ga:n vs Eastern Frisian *gunga isogloss
in play...
The modern past tense "gie" is probably analogical to forms like
"wie" (past of the verb "wêze"= to be), and "die" (past of "dwaan" = to do).
This forms are old (from *wier and *die(dene) resp.) and had a strong
influence
on the past of "gean".
In Aasters (dialect of east Terschelling) it is "gean - 3rd sing geet -
past: gie - part. gien"
In the dialect of Schiermonnikoog: "gain - 3rd s.  gie - past ging - part
gien".
(but here "ik gai, wy gaie" as well, so based on the infinitive without the
n..)
In Hindeloopen they say: "gaen - hy geet - hy geeng - hy ys ginzen"
with a nice old palatalisation of g in the last form (the only dialect to
preserve this).

Saterlandic: gunge, past geen, part geen. (3rd sing: "gungt")
("geen" corresponds to "gien" in WF, here the participle replaced the simple
past)

Heligolandic: gung, past ging, part. gingen (3rd sing. "gungt")
Sylt Frisian (Söl'ring): gung - ging - gingen  (with present "gair" in the
3rd sing.)
Fering-öömring: gung-ging-gingen; 3rd sing gungt (Fering), gongt (öömring).
Mooring : gunge - ging -gingen (3rd sing. gungt).

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

In Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects, the use of past indicative verb
forms is somewhat restrictied, tends to be avoided especially in everyday
conversation.   In spoken narrative styles it might be used much like
English "was/were ...ing", and even then there is a preference for
constructions of the type _was/weyren an 't ...n_ "was/were in the process
of ...ing".  Completed action tends to be expressed by means of past
participial forms.

In true Missingsch varieties (i.e., now moribund varieties of German with LS
substrates), use of past indicative forms is practically ungrammatical.
Thus, were in English you would say "He went," in German you would say _Er
ging_, and in LS you can say _Hey güng_ (besides _Hey is/het gaan_), in
Missingsch you would have to say _Eä is gegang_, which can also mean 'He
is/has/had gone'.

Is this not so in Afrikaans as well?

Are there similar situations in other Lowlands varieties?  What about other
"mixed" varieties, such as "Stedsk" (urban Dutch on W. Frisian substrates)?

Does this mean that the past indicate is the considered the most dispensible
tense?