LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.30 (07) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 30 17:03:28 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Alfred Brothers <alfredb at erols.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.09.30 (04) [E]

Ron wrote:

In inverted word order, if the pronoun is stressed, the m- remains.
Ordinary _hamma_ becomes _hamMIR_, never _haamwiä_ as you point out
happens in careful Hamburg Missingsch speech.
Says who?  I knew Hamburg Missingsch before I knew "proper" German, and I
assure you that _haa(b)mwiä_ and _gee(b)mwiä_ are quite normal in more
deliberate speech mode.  However, I believe this is a somewhat separate
issue, stops at /haab+n/ -> _haam_ and conditional ("temporary")
assimilation of /w-/ to preceding [m] in faster speech modes.  Note that
'we' is always _wiä_, never _miä_, in other positions.  No, I was _agreeing_
with you. -- I'm sure the stressed form in the North *is* _haamwiä_. It's
what I say myself since I knew "proper" German first, too. I meant that
those who speak southern German dialects and already say _mir_ for _wir_
would never revert to a form with /w/ when stressing the pronoun unless for
some reason they were crossing over into standard German.

Alfred

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Alfred,

Huuch!  Da haam wiä uns denn dscha wohl nich so richtich verstann'n, odä
bessä gesacht happ *ich* *Dir* nich richtich verstann'n.  'Schulligunk.  Nix
füä unguut.  :)

Schüüß!