LL-L "Language contacts" 2004.04.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Apr 14 14:29:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.APR.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.04.13 (01) [D/E]

Ron & Lowlanders:

My father once told me that before the war, large numbers of Polish farm
laborers used to come to our then isolated area (Espelkamp/Rahden), year
after year, until they had managed to save enough to buy their own farms in
Poland.  They were known as Saxengaenger.  Has anyone heard of this
phenomenon before?  It would be hard to imagine anyone, especially farm
laborers, having been able to function in my home area without a knowledge
of Platt. It would be interesting to know if these people didn't leave some
trace of their Polish language, foods and culture in the lowlands, and
lowlands language, culture and foods in Poland upon their return.

Tom Byro