LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.15 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 15 18:01:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.APR.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Afrikaans" 2004.04.15 (04) [E]

> > Speakers of Afrikaans:
> > 80.000 black
> > 2.730.000 coloured
> > 10.000 Asian
> > 2.920.000 white

Thanks for... errrr... ummm... clearing up the confusion... I think... :-P

All people are coloured, but some are more coloured that others - or
something like that? What about really dark South Africans from India? Would
you call them black, coloured, Asian or white (they're Aryans, after all)?

As these look like official statistics, there must be some kind of official
guidelines... or is it maybe that this was a poll, and people got to
indicate what they preferred to call themselves?

Gabriele Kahn