LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.04.22 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 22 17:34:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Sayings" 2004.04.22 (02) [E]

> > When speaking about pigs my great
> > uncles used the term "Pooey" / "Puuhee" as in: de lüttken Pooey - the
> > little
> > pigs. They also used it to call the pigs, saying: Pooey, Pooey, Pooey.
> > From
> > whence does this come? Is there any connection with the Pu in the
> > Puvaogel?
>
> 'Puhä' or 'Puhee' is in German 'Aufsehen' or 'Lärm', so it should be in
> English something like riot, uproar, noisiness. From whence it comes I
> don´t   know.

Anyone who has ever heard a bunch of pigs ten minutes before feeding time
would easily see the connection...

We often participate in medieval markets and Renaissance fairs (playing
music, singing, juggling etc.), and get to sleep in the hay at big farms
sometimes. Let me tell you - no-one can sleep after 4:45 a.m., since the
pigs get fed at five!

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

David Hoying wrote under "Sayings":

> I grew up in a household with my maternal grandparents (Bessmaam un
> Besspaap)

Apparently, _best(e)mouder_ (<Best(e)moder>) etc. 'grandmother', and
_best(e)vad(d)er_ (<Best(e)vad(d)er>), etc. 'grandfather', still occur in a
few dialects in Europe.  They seem to be on their way out, pushed aside by
_grootmouder_ (<Grootmoder>), _grootmöym_ (<Grootmöhm>), _ouma_ (<Oma>) etc.
'grandmother', 'granma', 'grannie' _grootva(d)der_ (<Grootva(d)der>), _oupa_
(<Opa>) etc. 'grandfather', 'grandpa', 'grams' respectively.  (Cf. Dutch
_grootmoeder_, _oma_, _grootvader_, _opa_)

I wonder if the _...maam_ and _...paap_ parts are adaptations of American
"mom" and "pop" ~ "pap."

The earlier terms are preserved in (Saxon-influenced) Scandinavian:
Danish: ♀ _bedstemoder_ (~ _bedstemor_), ♂ _bedstefader_ (~ _bedstefar_)
Norwegian: ♀ _bestemor_, ♂ _bestefar_

Cf. conservative Norse:
Faeroese: ♀ _omma_, ♂ _abbi_
Icelandic: ♀ _amma_, ♂ _afi_