LL-L "Terminology" 2004.04.25 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 25 21:10:21 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.APR.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Dave Singleton <davidsin at pt.lu>
Subject: LL-L "Song & dance/Etymology/Help needed" 2004.04.25 [E]

Hello, I have a request for all readers in all languages

In the following text, which is a description of a dance called
"Ly Bens Distonys/Lebens Disinens/Lubens Discuneus" from a book dated about
1500 +-20 years by Dr Fallows(Man Uni) there are three words which are still
giving people cause for thought in there meaning.
These are

Trace
Trett
Retrett

Trace.
After the end of the trace, the first 3 forth and torne, whill the second
retrett 3 bake
Then come togeder and ethir torne into oders plas.
Then the last man 3 forth and torne, whill the first retrett.
Then come togeder in such wys as they did afore and ethir end in ther own
place
Then trett and retrett and torne.

Are there amongst you any who have perhaps a idea or two on these words ??
Any help gratefully accepted, and I also realize that this request may have
been made before, but befire I joined the list

thanks

Dave Singleton ( Luxembourg)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Terminology

Hi, Dave!

Good to hear from you again.

I don't know if this helps at all, but let me just say what I suspect about
these terms:

> Trace
>From French _trace_ 'trail', 'track', 'line of steps'

> Trett
>From French _traite_ 'stretch (of a road)', 'stage (of a journey)', 'leg (of
a trip)' ('going forward'?)

> Retrett
>From French _retraite_ 'withdrawal' ('going backward'?) [> retreat]

What type of dancing is this?  Morris Dance?