LL-L "Syntax" 2004.04.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Apr 29 23:10:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Jan Strunk <strunkjan at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2004.04.29 (02) [E]

Hello,

Ron, thank you very much for the examples.
I have two more follow-up questions and then I hope that I can stop bugging
you.
Again all Low Saxon speakers are invited to answer...

Ron wrote:
> (*)Hinnerks öldsten Kinner vun Hinnerk
> Hinnerk sien öldsten Kinner
> (Hinnerk's oldest chidren.)
Does this get better if you use the following?
"Hinnerks öldste Kinner"
"mien Vadders öldste Kinner"

The second question is, whether the following is possible:
"All den Mann siene Kinner sünd nu al groot".
"All mien Vadder siene Frünne sünd kamen."

Beste gröten!

Jan Strunk
jstrunk at stanford.edu

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Syntax

Jan,

> (*)Hinnerks öldsten Kinner vun Hinnerk

Sorry.  This was an error.  (I must have gone wild pasting ...)  It was
supposed to be this:

(*)Hinnerks öldsten Kinner

> Does this get better if you use the following?
> "Hinnerks öldste Kinner"
> "mien Vadders öldste Kinner"

Hmmm ... not quite, not in *my* book.  The adjectival suffix _-e_ can only
be used in case of indefinite plural forms; e.g. _öldste Kinner_ '(some/any)
oldest children' (as opposed to definite _de öldsten Kinner_ 'the oldest
children').  All definite cases take the plural suffix _en_, and this
includes _mien öldsten Kinner_ 'my oldest children', not *_mien öldste
Kinner_), (*) _Hinnerks öldsten Kinner_ ~ _Hinnerk sien öldsten Kinner_
'Hinnerk's oldest children'.

I'm not totally sure with regard to the constructions with genitive _-s_.
They sound barely marginally acceptable with _-e_ with _Hinnerk_ and _mien
Vadder_, not with _mien_, perhaps a tad better than with _-en_, and I'm not
sure why.  As I said, this is too marginal for me anyway.  I would always
use constructions with X sien Y or Y vun X.

I hope this helps.